ARRIS SURFboard Gigabit SBG8300 Modem AC2350 Wi-Fi Router
It doesn’t matter if you are a tech guy or not, but in this era of technology, you must be acquainted with the terms called ‘modems’ and ‘routers’ and so on. These two technological devices have become so inevitable in our lives of ours that we cannot go a single day without using them. ARRIS Surfboard Gigabit is the best choise for you.
You might be thinking about the basic principle of modems and routers. Well, we know that you are little more than being just confused about this matter and hence, seeking our help. To ease your situation, we will clarify the whole thing.
Modems are basically a tool that is used to provide internet in a certain area or place. Depending on the power of modems, their service areas differ. You can look for the best modems in the market by simply searching for them. However, you should not fool yourself with the ones that only glaze!
Modems use coax cable to transfer data (internet) to your device. And here it differs from routers. Now, we assume that you are asking yourself about the differences between modems and routers.
Routers do not use cables, and most importantly they do not provide you the internet that you get from your ISP. Rather, routers are a type of device that helps you to spread your internet in a certain area. The main principle of the router is that it works as the distributor of the internet.
Nowadays, there are modems with built-in routers to help decrease your hassles. The aforementioned one is no exception. And unlike many other modems, this one has a special feature of fast charging. This means that this modem can also be used when you do not have the electricity! We couldn’t find any better thing but this.
ARRIS Surfboard Gigabit has four Gigabit ports that supplies you wifi 5 which is up to 2.3 Gbps! Compatible with all the major ISPs including the Xfinity (Gigabit/Gigabit X2), Gigablast of Cox and Spectrum (Internet Gig). That means, you won’t have to be afraid thinking about the ideal ISP.
Unlike its previous versions, ARRIS Surfboard Gigabit uses DOCSIS 3.1 which is about 8 times fasters than DOCSIS 3.0. Also, you should know that since this device is a type of modified Gateway, you can use all four ports simultaneously, without any latency!
Unlike many other modems with built-in router, this one allows you to have a remote control. To do that, you can simply download the ‘SURFboard Central App’ on your mobile device to operate the modem from afar! Or you can login to the corresponding website of the modem to operate it. But in order to do that, you have to match the MAC Address of your wifi.
Now you might be wondering how you can install the modem at your house. Well, the task seems a bit hazy in the first place but installing a modem is one of the easiest tasks you have ever done. And it requires absolutely no time at all.
Here goes the step by step instructions about how you can install the ARRIS Surfboard Gigabit modem that you have purchased:
- First, you need to select a suitable place for the modem. Generally, it should be at the center of your apartment so that it provides equal service at each corner.
- If you have a workstation at your house where you have a couple of devices, then you can select that room too.
- After that, you need to set a socket on the wall from where you will be getting the main supply of electricity for your adapter. For that you can use an electric drill machine to make holes on the wall.
- Then comes the cable part. You should know that your ISP will give you a cable, coax cable to be more specific, that is to be installed in the modem. This cable is the primary container of the internet.
- To attach the cable in your modem, you should look for a plastic socket that is either at the back or at the front side of the modem.
- If your modem does not have a built in router, then you need to install it separately. To add the router, just attach the adapter with the socket on the wall and then put the pin in the router to have the electric supply.
- If your modem has a built in router, then you do not have to take any further hassle. Just attach it with the coax cable.
- Once your modem is set, you will see that there is a separate switch (manual) in the modem. That is used for the manual startup of the modem. It is used to protect your modem from overflow of electricity.
- After you have done all of these, you are good to go.
Why there is a blinking light in my modem?
There are two types of signals in these devices. One is the static green or red, and the other one is blinking green. The static green suggests that the modem is supplying internet perfectly, or it is running.
The red suggests that either the ISP has stopped providing internet, or there might have been any line-break.
The blinking light suggests us that there is a maintenance going on. That means, your ISP is working on something.
How to update my modem?
It is usually said that your modem requires an update when there is any need. These updates are usually issued by the manufacturer of the product. To update your modem, you need to login to the corresponding website of the modem and then simply download the item, and you are good to go!
Do I need to change my cable?
Yes, and no. Your cable is the primary source of supplying the internet to your modem. Generally, you do not need to change the cable as these cables can serve you up to 5-7 years! You need to change your cable only when there is an issue like breaking, burning or something like that.
When I need to change my modem?
Your modem is likely to serve you up to seven years and on. So you should not think of changing it unless you face an issue. Generally, a good quality modem does not have any issue. So, you better not look for those cheap ones that only might last for six months or so!
You can want to more about