You might be wondering what a modem actually is, even you knowingly or unknowingly have used one of them in your lifetime. Let me clear you the whole idea first; a sort of digital networking device called a modem uses coax cable to transmit data quickly from the ISP to your device. In terms of service, these modems offer a little bit more than a wifi router. You should be aware, though, that some modems on the market come with a built-in wireless router.
ARRIS Surfboard SBG8300 Review
If you ask us about the differences between modems and routers, easiest possible way to explain is that for broader area networking systems, modems are used. Possibly a small community, for instance. Instead, routers are used locally, such as in an apartment, business workplace, or similar setting. Actually, modems work in the greater sense than routers in terms of population, connectivity and area.
As these are electronic devices, these must have a separate operating system to control everything. Luckily, the manufacturers have a plan about this issue. There are countless operating systems that control the whole modem/router combo to make it easier for you to operate.
As for the modems, the best operating systems are Linux, Ubuntu, Chrome, MAC OS etc. for the router, the JUNIPER JUNOS and the CISCO are considered as the best operating systems. Because these operating systems do not require frequent upgrades, and this makes the device even smoother. However, the router or the modem can be upgraded through firmware installation, but that has nothing to do with the operating system of it.
In search for the best modems in the market, it is easier for you to get confused. However, we state our existence as the ultimate guide for you to have the best product. The mentioned modem is one of the best modems in the market that can serve up to 6 years without any issues!
Sounds unbelievable, right? Also, this modem has a special feature of fast charging! That means, you won’t have to wait hours to recharge it. The manufacturer has used dual-band frequency class. This product is compatible with any type of mobile devices including cell phones, tablets, laptops, smart tvs, streaming and gaming devices and so on.
Also, this product is using DOCSIS 3.1 technology which is faster than its previous version DOCSIS 3.0. With better security and improved mechanisms, this product run smoother than any other modems in the market.
Compatible with all the possible major internet service providers including Specturm, COX and Xfinity (Gigabit/Gigabit 2). Moreover, you will get a 2 years of warranty with it provided by the manufacturer. And to be mentioned, you get all these in less than $240, which is indeed unbelievable!
Now, once you have purchased one of this, you might be tapping your head thinking how you can setup the whole thing. Well, we again stand before you as your well-wisher. This next segment will be just for you lots where you can have a perfect, easy-to-understand and step-by-step guide to install the modem at your house.
- To do it carefully, the very first thing you should do is to check the power supply of your house and look for any sort of issues. It is important because if there is any issue with the main line, then all the products that you will install will be damaged immediately.
- After checking it and if you are satisfied enough that everything is okay, then you can proceed for the next step.
- The next thing will be to set a suitable place for your modem. Many people think that setting up the modem close to the computer will make it easier for the user to have faster internet. Well, this idea is not entirely wrong.
- But, we suggest you to set the modem at the center of the house from where every single user will be able to get the equal amount of data.
- You should then set the AC adapter to the modem. To do that, you have to look for the round shaped jack. Then you should install the AC adapter to it.
- After that, it is the time for you to connect the router with the modem. To connect the router, you have to take the cable from the modem and then attach it to the router and bingo!
- Then next thing should be pairing the router and customizing. To customize the router, you have to go to the page of the router that your ISP has given you.
- Then, you have to set the passwords, user name and other initial things.
- If your modem has an operating system, then you won’t have to bother much as the operating system will automatically do these for you.
- Once you are done with all these, you are good to go.
How can I update my modem?
Generally, the updates of the modem depends on the necessity. If there is any need of an upgrade, the manufacturers issue an update. You can install the updates by downloading them from the corresponding website of the modem.
When I should change the Cable?
If you face some issues on the data transmission, there are chances that either your ISP is not providing you the needed data speed, or your cable has lost its efficiency. If the cable is doomed, you need to change it right away. But you have to be sure that it is really the cable, not the ISP.
Why my Modem isn’t working?
It may have several reasons. But the most common ones possess that either the modem is not up to date, or there have been some kind of hardware malfunctioning. You can get rid of these by either updating the modem, or by replacing the modem with a newer one, or you can take your modem to the nearest IT servicing center.
Do all modems have built-in routers?
It is a no. Not all the modems have a built-in router with it. In older times, a user had to buy a separate modem and a separate router to spread internet in a particular area. However, in modern times, the manufacturers are easing the users pain by installing a built-I router inside of the modem.